SPL is growing and we are looking for more great employees like you!
SPL is a globally recognized industry leader in flow assurance, hydrocarbon measurement, characterization, and production analytics. We specialize in third-party services for operators across the hydrocarbon value chain. More than 90 percent of the world’s majors and 85 percent of America’s leading independent operators have used SPL as a trusted partner.
The company combines ISO-certified labs in key basins throughout North America, verifiable test methods, and world-renowned scientists with patented software and digital workflows to bring more confidence and insights to our customers’ data.
We specialize in multiple areas of the value chain:
- Field employees work to calibrate equipment, program and automate systems, and perform instrumentation and equipment work on client sites.
- Lab employees take samples that have been collected in the field and run a multitude of tests for environmental factors and quality of the product. We also have a blending lab that works to create the chemicals that other companies use to calibrate their analytical equipment.
- The Production Analytics team audits existing field structures and design, balances our client’s entire systems, and allocates royalties to maximize profits.
SPL is expanding our footprint internationally in the production, midstream, finished products, and environmental markets. We are also focused on developing industry-leading automation and data analytics tools that will help our customers ensure the integrity of their data.
The Quality Specialist must be team oriented, proactive, and goal driven. This position will maintain the quality management system for audit readiness through implementation and recordkeeping of statistical quality control charts, corrective action investigations, method validations, standard operating procedures, calibrations and preventative maintenance.
- Ensure the quality management system complies with audit requirements for ISO 9001, ISO 17025, and various client audits;
- Take a leading role in all audits under the supervision of the quality director;
- Maintain statistical quality control (SQC) samples, charts, and data;
- Ensure all SQCs, preventative maintenance, and calibration requirements are performed on schedule and in compliance with ISO 17025 requirements;
- Assist laboratory management in maintaining electronic maintenance, SQC, and calibration records;
- Monitor typical client reports for ISO 17025 compliance, including traceability of instruments, technicians, and SQC data;
- Review Proficiency Testing Program (PTP) data for reporting errors and quality;
- Evaluate SPL PTP data against other participating labs for unusual and/or nonconforming results;
- Investigate corrective action requests by troubleshooting instruments and processes, creating accurate records of the investigation results, and effectively communicating the necessary corrective actions to all involved personnel;
- Follow-up with corrective actions to ensure both compliance and resolution of issues;
- Perform instrument validation studies on any instruments new to assigned lab;
- Create and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all test methods;
- Maintain and update calculation and report templates as necessary;
- Perform regular test method assessments to evaluate conformance between each test method, SOP, and technician performance;
- Effectively communicate the results of any corrective actions, test method assessments, and management of change documents to the quality director and/or laboratory management;
- Delegate tasks to laboratory technicians as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field;
- Lab Tech III or extensive previous experience directly related to laboratory quality control;
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations;
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office suite to perform job functions;
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands;
- Ability to keep accurate records;
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats;
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form;
- Ability to work as a team with laboratory leadership and personnel across multiple departments;
- Ability to work with chemical, petroleum and petrochemical products;
- In depth knowledge of the SPL Quality Manual;
- Valid driver license and auto insurance.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Communicate effectively – both verbally and in writing;
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less);
- Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors;
- Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point);
- Depth Perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships);
- Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus);
- Ability to stand and walk for moderate periods of time;
- Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature;
- Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects;
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items and work with the fingers;
- Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic;
- Well lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation;
- Work near moving mechanical parts;
- Fumes or airborne particles;
- Air contamination (i.e., dust, fume, smoke, toxic conditions, disagreeable odors);
- Toxic or caustic chemicals;
- Risk of electrical shock;
- Work with explosives;
- Will consider part time, full time, and short term (off semester) employment options to accommodate flexible schedules for student’s educational needs;
- Working extended hours and varying shifts is often required;
- Must follow health, safety and environmental policies of company and clients;
- Must comply with drug & alcohol policies as well as all testing protocols of company and clients.