Organic Extractions Technician
SPL is growing and we are looking for more great employees like you!
SPL is a globally recognized industry leader in flow assurance, hydrocarbon measurement, characterization, and production analytics. We specialize in third-party services for operators across the hydrocarbon value chain. More than 90 percent of the world’s majors and 85 percent of America’s leading independent operators have used SPL as a trusted partner.
The company combines ISO-certified labs in key basins throughout North America, verifiable test methods, and world-renowned scientists with patented software and digital workflows to bring more confidence and insights to our customers’ data.
We specialize in multiple areas of the value chain:
- Field employees work to calibrate equipment, program and automate systems, and perform instrumentation and equipment work on client sites.
- Lab employees take samples that have been collected in the field and run a multitude of tests for environmental factors and quality of the product. We also have a blending lab that works to create the chemicals that other companies use to calibrate their analytical equipment.
- The Production Analytics team audits existing field structures and design, balances our client’s entire systems, and allocates royalties to maximize profits.
SPL is expanding our footprint internationally in the production, midstream, finished products, and environmental markets. We are also focused on developing industry-leading automation and data analytics tools that will help our customers ensure the integrity of their data.
The Organic Extraction Technician must be team oriented, proactive and goal driven. This position will be responsible for preparation of environmental samples for analysis. Organic extractions and concentration of soil and water samples will be required. Perform required duties according to published methodologies and established laboratory procedures.
- Perform all duties associated with the preparation of samples for organic analysis;
- Maintain complete documentation of all preparatory procedures according to established requirements;
- Perform all work within established quality control parameters and within specified turnaround times;
- Perform gravimetric determinations;
- Assist with preparation of analytical standards, reagents, and solutions;
- Maintain safe working conditions and a clean, orderly work area at all times;
- Follow SOP’s and methodologies without deviation;
- Exercise laboratory safety practices;
- Produce quality data;
- Strong commitment to quality and integrity;
- May be asked to assist with glassware cleaning and sample disposal tasks;
- Other duties as assigned and/or basic troubleshooting as needed;
- Must learn Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), methods, test procedures as required for daily operation;
- Must be willing to cross train and work overtime as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED with 2 to 4 years of organic extractions laboratory experience;
- Working knowledge of computer software;
- Good Windows-based computer skills are a necessity;
- Must be able to comprehend and follow written instructions, methodologies, procedures, protocols, and policies without deviation;
- Must be able to recognize unsatisfactory analytical performance and suggest appropriate corrective actions;
- Must be able to monitor and prioritize daily work assignments without supervision using laboratory computer-based sample tracking systems;
- Must have a strong commitment to ensuring all work is completed within prescribed deadlines;
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required.
- Must be able to initiate corrective action without prompting and assist co-workers whenever necessary in order to meet deadlines;
- Must be able to effectively perform duties under pressures arising from large sample volumes and short turn-around times;
- Must be able to work independently with a minimum of supervision and also to work effectively as a team member with subordinates, peers, and supervisors; · Diligent work ethic and the ability to work independently;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle numerous details;
- High energy level, confidence and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. crobat and the Internet
- Experience with the following analyses or instrumentation is beneficial:
- Organic – GC or GC.MS;
- Metals – ICP or ICP/MS;
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Working conditions include exposure to chemicals and experiments common in an environmental testing laboratory;
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as gloves, goggles, safety glasses;
- Physical requirements needed to perform the job duties are as follows:
- Carrying – up to 50 lbs.;
- Lifting – up to 100 lbs.;
- Standing – moderate;
- Walking – moderate;
- Equipment includes laboratory test instruments and equipment, computers, and safety equipment.