PROJECT ENGINEER, SEAPORT MANATEE DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION
Seaport Manatee’s Department of Engineering and Construction is responsible for engineering related to Port capital improvement projects and for general engineering support for the Port team. The holder of this Project Engineer position in the Department of Engineering and Construction reports to the Senior Director of Engineering and Construction. The position comes with advancement opportunities as described below. The duties are designed for a development path to becoming a suitable candidate for future department director. As such, the Port needs and expects every holder of this position to always perform assigned work at a high level of capability, to continually grow into capability to perform the full range of department technical functions at a high level, and to attain the necessary certifications.
- Performing and reporting on assigned tasks.
- Planning, managing, performing, and reporting on assigned projects.
- Multiple concurrent tasks and projects.
- Participating in the planning, procuring, managing, overseeing and reporting on contracted professional services by others.
- Participating in the planning, procuring, managing, overseeing and reporting on contracted construction services by others.
- Participating in owner representation on projects
- Working effectively with others.
- Growing in capacity.
- Growing in abilities.
- Effectively utilizing the contribution of coworkers filling a supporting role.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with coworkers, consultants, and contractors.
- Participating in the processing of invoices and pay applications.
- Participating in providing beneficial engineering support to the rest of the Port internal team
- Supporting the department director and the department goals as set forth by the department director.
- Following department working procedures in their current form as they are developed over time.
- Participating in meetings and conferences and representing the Port with a high level of professionalism.
- Planning and conducting engineering research, field studies, and inspections including compliance inspections, and plan evaluations.
- Preparing technical documentation and composing reports.
- Interpreting and utilizing complex engineering techniques in the solution of problems encountered in the area of assignment.
- Filing and maintaining records.
- Creating, managing, editing and plotting AutoCAD and ArcGIS files.
- Proactive quality control and quality assurance and maximizing quality in all work and communication.
- Working emergency situations, including weather and other extreme conditions.
- Meeting hard, reasonable, needed deadlines.
- Engineering Degree in a related discipline; civil engineering preferred
- Knowledge, ability and experience related to the job duties.
- Florida Engineer Intern Certification and Florida Professional Engineer Certification or the requisite degree and a confirmed aspiration and commitment to obtain the certifications as soon as possible. Work in this position is under the direct responsible charge of a PE.
- An aspiration to become department director in the future.
- Valid driver's license with valid Florida driver's license within 30 days of hire.
- Established persistent honesty and integrity
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to understand and learn the job quickly.
- Ability to produce work product accurately and neatly.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to work at a single workstation for extended periods.
- Ability to work in the field for extended periods.
Compensation and advancement: Starting salary $80,500 without a Florida Engineer Intern
Certification. Normal acrossthe-board increases are subject to expected progress in the envisioned growth. Opportunity for increase will normally be annual. Greater than normal increases and advancement are available subject to higher levels of certification, exemplary performance, exemplary progress in envisioned growth and increasing the scope of capabilities in department functions. Florida Engineer Intern Certification comes with a 5% salary increase. Florida Professional Engineer Certification comes with a 10% salary increase. Excellent benefits are provided, including Manatee County YourChoice health insurance and benefits and Florida Retirement System (FRS), both clear advantages of working for a governmental entity.