Pioneer Electric Cooperative, Inc
Position: Mapping Technician Location: Greenville, AL
This position is responsible for providing technical support and assistance for the Cooperative’s engineering staff, including generating, documenting, and updating the GIS Utility Mapping Database. This will include assisting with site surveys and inspections, collection of data, and other project related duties to ensure the utility map is complete and current as necessary. In addition, responsibilities may include the development of accurate & detailed records of engineering projects and drafting of plans, specifications, reports, and permits as directed by the Engineering Department. The Technician is expected to use the mapping system to digitize, store, retrieve and plot electrical system maps; visit sites of proposed electrical installation, place equipment, stake locations, draw sketches and complete staking sheets; uses database capabilities of mapping system to enter data, retrieve information and generate required reports.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Plots vicinity maps, digitizes location of added equipment such as poles, voltage transformers, lines, meters and related electrical equipment on mapping system; plots and assembles updated circuit diagrams and key map of all service areas.
- Updates maps and computers for trucks and offices.
- Performs field mapping and data recording for new and existing plant and generates custom maps for other departments.
- Assist with site surveys and inspections, collect data, develop detailed records of engineering projects.
- Prepares various reports.
- Oversees input of data in the Transformer Management Database, while maintaining and insuring integrity of data in engineering databases.
- Prepares line section assignments and maintains connectivity. Creates data files to be used in other applications
- Oversees PCB records.
- Studies service or work order requests to determine type of service required by installation.
- Visits site of proposed installation and determines location of poles, voltage, transformers, lines, meters and related electrical equipment on service; negotiates locations with customer as needed.
- Measures road dimensions, distances and directions to be spanned.
- Estimates materials and equipment needed for installation.
- Stakes locations of all equipment as a guide for construction crew.
- Draws master sketch showing relation of proposed installation to existing facilities and completes staking sheets, assigning account numbers and other necessary specifications.
- Successfully complete Apprentice Lineman program and the ability to perform pole top & bucket rescue.
- Works as a “B” person on standby on a rotational basis; works overtime in emergencies, storms, and outages.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Associate degree in computer-aided drafting or geographic information systems preferred. Class B CDL must be obtained within three months of hire. Must obtain a Class A CDL within six months of eligibility to receive Class A CDL. Must be First Aid/CPR certified or obtain within six months of employment.
Experience: 3-5 years of related work experience, including related software applications such as database management, word processing, AutoCAD, Civil ED and/or ArcVew/ArcGIS are required. Experience with Global Positioning Systems (GPS) equipment and project management software (Microsoft Project) preferred.
Functional Competencies: Technologically savvy, judgment, initiative, critical thinking, problem solving, cooperation, collaboration, decision making, verbal and written communication, customer focused, time management.
Special Requirements. Required to live within a 15-mile radius of the Greenville Office and have at least 4 Mbps of internet service. Willing to participate in special training programs/classes as requested.
Willing to travel as requested.
Click apply now to submit your resume for immediate consideration.