Project Inspector #95433
Klamath Falls | ODOT | Headquarters
Initial Posting Date: 04/26/2022
Application Deadline: 05/17/2022
Agency: Department of Transportation
Salary Range: $4,177 - $6,421
Position Type: Employee, Full-Time
Salary Range: $4,177 - $6,421
Position Title: Project Inspector
Civil Engineering Specialist 1 – Project Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 4
Join our Region 4 team in beautiful Klamath Falls! As the project inspector, you will be responsible to ensuring daily contract compliance on transportation projects. You will also be completing designs of minor and semi-complex transportation projects. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Read and comprehend contract plans and specifications for roadway and bridge construction to ensure contract compliance.
- Perform complex engineering calculations for designing and constructing roads and bridges.
- Report and coordinate all assigned phases of work between the Resident Engineer’s Office and the Contractor on projects.
- Inspect all work performed by the Contractor and document the quality and quantity of all materials received and installed on the project.
- Monitor traffic protection and direction for safety of the traveling public.
- Monitor construction site for unsafe conditions for the protection of the State’s and Contractor’s personnel.
- Need a working knowledge of personal computers for data entry, spreadsheet manipulation, document creation, and word processing.
- Ability to work in remote locations, in harsh weather conditions, for long hours, for months at a time.
- Ability to traverse harsh terrain, lift and carry 50 pounds, and carry out manual labor tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional and collaborative working relationships with all contacts.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Klamath Falls, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
- Four years of para-professional engineering or surveying experience. One year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group
- An associate's degree in engineering technology or surveying from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and two and one-half years of engineering or surveying experience. One year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group
- A bachelor's degree in civil engineering, surveying, or transportation-related engineering and one year civil engineering or surveying experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Knowledge, skills and experience related to inspection and contract administration of highway construction and maintenance projects.
- Experience producing and interpreting plans, specifications and cost data for transportation projects.
- Use of computers and software to analyze engineering data for quantities for installed materials.
How to apply:
- Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
- Complete the following required steps:
- Attach a resume. Your resume must include dates (MM/YYYY) for each employer. Please contact the recruiter under the ‘Need help?’ section if you have any questions about how to attach a document.
- Attach a cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly demonstrate how your experience and training relates to the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section above.
- Your cover letter must be limited to no more than two (2) pages.
- Please address your cover letter to hiring manager, Thomas Feeley.
- Generic cover letters and/or cover letters that do not address the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section may receive lower scores than those that addressed the desired qualities.
- If you are an external applicant, you must upload your cover letter in the ‘Resume/CV’ section of the application.
- Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions before submitting your application.
- After you submit your application, please respond to the public records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. The task to claim preference will come after the public records request and gender identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments.
- For questions, please email Nikki at: ODOTrecruitmentNH@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.
CLICK THE APPLY BUTTON IN THIS JOB POSTING TO GO TO THE OFFICIAL ODOT POSTING AND COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS!