Director of Outreach, AIM Photonics
NY CREATES is a leading research and development hub as well as a commercialization facilitator in advanced digital, analog, and power technologies.
AIM Photonics as program of NY CREATES is one of nine manufacturing innovation institutes (MIIs) established by the United States Department of Defense (DoD). The DoD MIIs build a national network of public-private partnerships and creating an industrial common for manufacturing R&D, and workforce education and development.
NY CREATES is seeking applicants for the AIM Photonics Director of Photonics Outreach. This is a remote/hybrid position with offices in Albany, NY and Rochester, NY.
The Director of Photonics Outreach will find, contact, and bring in potential consortium members and customers for AIM Photonics.
AIM Photonics has the mission to grow and mature the integrated photonics domestic ecosystem therefore has the need to know about every company, university, and government lab that is designing, developing, fabricating, or packaging Photonic Integrated Circuits (PIC).
The ideal candidate
- Will have experience in the semiconductor industry, preferably in silicon photonics, as well as business development experience.
- Will have technical expertise in silicon photonics. While such expertise is a significant advantage, a motivated and diligent business development professional who is conversant with the silicon photonics industry could be a strong candidate
- Will be able to successfully engage with corporate officers, engineers, professors, government program managers, and politicians and their staffs in service of the AIM Photonics mission to grow and nurture the integrated photonics ecosystem in the United States.
Responsibilities for Director of Photonics Outreach
This position is responsible for:
- Director of Photonics Outreach will have primary responsibility for this activity, which will involve aspects of business development, business intelligence, and technical sales.
- Contact companies, university, and government labs that design, develop, fabricate, or package Photonic Integrated Circuits (PIC), inform them of our accessible technology offerings, and encourage them to join our consortium and/or become customers for our multi-project wafer (MPW) runs or test, assembly, and packaging (TAP) services.
- Assist the Executive Director and other senior staff in our mission to grow and mature the domestic integrated photonics ecosystem.
- Increases AIM Photonics contacts with and understanding of all types of commercial and non-commercial organizations in the ecosystem.
- Act as senior staff, advising Executive Director, coordinating with other senior staff, and in some cases working directly with senior staff of NY CREATES and with federal government program managers.
- Attend conferences and trade shows on behalf of AIM Photonics
- Handle engagements with potential customers so that AIM Photonics engineering team is brought in as needed but is not burdened with non-technical customer interactions.
- Understand and be able to articulate our technical road map and organization goals.
- Travel to potential member and customer sites as needed subject to approval of travel funding
- Coordinate with Director of Marketing to ensure consistent messaging and to ensure optimal use of our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
- Coordinate with Director of Technology delivery to make the customer experience efficient and effective.
- Acquire, analyze, and provide Voice of the Customer (VOC) information to senior staff.
- 3+ years' experience in business development for a semiconductor or photonic company or organization.
- Familiarity with domestic integrated photonics activities including at companies, universities, and government labs. Deep expertise is an advantage but not a requirement.
- Ability to travel to conferences, customer and member locations, and for other relevant purposes.
- Expertise in silicon photonics technology including one or more of design, fabrication, test, assembly, packaging.
- Graduate degree in a semiconductor-related technical field.
- Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Competitive Pay and PTO
- Flexible Heath Spending and Dependent Care Accounts
- Basic / Optional Life Insurance
- Post-Retirement Health Insurance
- Employer contribution of 7% of earnings to a Basic Retirement plan after meeting one year of service.
- Optional employee contributed retirement account.
Location: Candidate can live anywhere in the U.S and work fully remote. Offices for AIM Photonics are located in Albany and Rochester, NY.
Salary Range: $125,000-$145,000
**Posted salaries, are determined upon education and experience.
Employment is with the Research Foundation for SUNY which is an Equal opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Research Foundation employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by the Research Foundation.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply, please call Human Resources at 518-437-8686.