NYSW Railway – Binghamton, NY
Inspect, service, repair and maintain diesel locomotives.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
• Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
• Inspect, maintain, troubleshoot and repair malfunctions in diesel engines, air brake equipment, running gear or locomotive components
• Service locomotives with fuel, oil, sand
• Perform periodic service on locomotives
• Move locomotives
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
• High School diploma/GED
• Valid Driver's License
• Heavy mechanical repair experience
• Four years diesel mechanic experience
• Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
• Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
• Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
• Mechanical aptitude
• Heavy work, lifting up to 75 pounds
• Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
• Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
• Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
• Wear protective equipment such as hearing protection, safety Shoes, safety glasses, PPE and hard hat.
• Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime and various shift work
• Requires random testing for drugs and alcohol
• Must pass all required assessments
Work outside in all weather conditions in confined spaces, and on occasion at elevated heights.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.