Assistant City Engineer
The purpose of this position is to assist the Director of Engineering in providing professional engineering services to the City including the administration of the programs and operations required of the Engineering Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Provides professional engineering and administrative services as required thru planning, design, construction, and maintenance of a wide variety of municipal and public works projects including roadways, bridges, drainage improvements, pedestrian improvements, recreational facilities, etc.
- Has the ability to manage and complete field work using various types of survey equipment (GPS, total station, storm sewer camera).
- Prepares project plans, specifications and cost estimates for construction contracts meeting current standards of practice.
- Represents the City to other governmental jurisdictions, State and Federal governmental agencies, private firms, and the general public on engineering matters as needed.
- Reviews and updates applicable City ordinances and regulations.
- Reviews plans and specifications submitted by private developers to insure compliance with City ordinances and regulations.
- Assists in the administration of the City’s Traffic Calming Ordinance, the MS4 program, and all right-of-way permitting required.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university with an active State of Alabama Professional Engineering License is required.
- Applicant must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and AutoCAD Civil 3D software. Proficiency in hydrology and hydraulic analysis is a plus.
- Must have a valid Alabama driver’s license.
Knowledge of Job
- Has extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering necessary for the completion of daily responsibilities.
- Has extensive knowledge of construction and maintenance methods, various materials, and the laws and regulations related to public works projects.
- Is able to effectively communicate and interact with supervisors, members of the general public, elected officials, and all other groups involved in or reliant upon the activities of the department.
- Is able to investigate various engineering related complaints, assemble relevant information, issue reports and presentations in a concise, clear, and effective manner.
- Has good organizational, human relations, and technical skills.
- Is able to use independent judgment and work with little direct supervision when necessary.
- Has the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information.
- Has comprehensive knowledge of the terminology, principles, and methods utilized within the department in conjunction with planning, and overall civil engineering design.
- Is able to read, understand, and interpret financial reports and related materials.
- Is able to complete complex and repetitive calculations when necessary.
For more information and to apply, click "Apply".